Read receipts are yet another feature of Microsoft Outlook which allows you to know if someone has received and opened the email sent by you or not. The feature is similar to WhatsApp where you get to know about a read status of a message with blue check marks. Just like you get read receipts in Outlook, the person sitting at the other end also gets to know if you have read his message or not.
But, sometimes this feature becomes annoying especially when you do not want the sender to know that you have read his message. For getting rid of this helpful yet annoying feature of Outlook, there are ways through which you can do so. By customizing certain settings in Outlook, you can not only turn off read receipts but also turn it off for the messages or emails that you receive. There are two separate ways of doing so which are discussed in the following sections.
Steps to disable ‘Requested’ read receipts
When you send an email but do not want to request or get a read receipt, then you may do the following:
- First of all, you obviously need to open Outlook.
- After this, go to the ‘File’ option and select it.
- Further, you need to click on ‘Options’.
- Following this, select ‘Mail’.
- Now, scroll down and go to the ‘Tracking’ section.
- Here, you will see two statements under ‘For all messages sent, request’:
- “Delivery receipt confirming the message was delivered to the recipient’s email server”
- “Read receipt confirming the recipient viewed the message”
With the first option, you will get to know if the email service provider of the recipient has received the email or not. This service provider could be Gmail, Yahoo, etc. The other option lets you know if the recipient has opened the email or not. This means that the recipient has seen the email but has not yet opened it. It also depends on recipient settings whether they have enabled the read receipts or not.
- Uncheck both the boxes. This will turn off the delivery as well as read receipts.
- Click ‘OK’ to save the changes.
Steps to turn off ‘Receiving’ read receipts
If you do not want that other person should know that you have read their emails then there is an option to prevent this. Doing so will dismiss read receipts for the emails that you receive in the inbox of your Outlook.
- Begin by opening Outlook followed by tapping on the ‘File’ option.
- After this, click on ‘Options’ and then select ‘Mail’.
- Now, scroll down and then go to the ‘Tracking’ section.
- Here, you will see three options reading as:
- Always send a read receipt
- Never send a read receipt
- Ask each time whether to send a read receipt
- Here, you need to select ‘never send a read receipt’.
- Click ‘OK’ after completing these steps.
You may also select other options based on what you wish to do with a message that you send or receive. To know more about such interesting features of Outlook, you can navigate to office.com/setup and read out various articles that would help you make the best use of Microsoft Office.